Are You A Candidate?
If you have any form of gum disease you may be required to seek treatment before restorations can begin. If your gums are not in good health, restorations will not last.
If you have TMJ or issues with your bite, your occlusion may need to be adjusted to prevent damage to your restored smile.
Schedule your FREE Cosmetic & Dental Implant Consultation.
Full Mouth Reconstruction in Loma Linda, CA
When you need dental treatment that will rebuild or restore all of the teeth in the upper and lower jaw areas, you will be undergoing full mouth reconstruction. Also known as full mouth restoration or rehabilitation, the procedures and services performed in full mouth reconstruction can span several months and even years. These procedures often involve several dental specialists including periodontists, oral surgeons, orthodontists, endodontists, and general or cosmetic doctors because each specialist can address your very specific and unique needs.
Reasons to Undergo Full Mouth Reconstruction
There are a number of reasons why you might need to undergo full mouth reconstruction, including:
- Replace missing teeth as a result of tooth decay, injury, trauma, or periodontal disease
- Replace or restore teeth that have been fractured
- Replace teeth that have become severely worn down due to long term acid erosion or bruxism (teeth grinding)
- Improve the bite and overall functioning of the teeth and jaw related to any muscle, head, or jaw pain that you may be experiencing
Before You Undergo Full Mouth Reconstruction
Your cosmetic doctor can perform a comprehensive dental exam to determine if you are a good candidate for full mouth reconstruction. The exam will focus on:
- Condition of your teeth: Any cavities, decay, cracks, root canal issues, missing teeth, loose teeth, and short or long teeth will need to be addressed with procedures such as crowns, bridges, implants, inlays, onlays, or even veneers. You may be referred to other specialists for some of these procedures.
- Periodontal issues: If there is any indication of gum disease, you might need to visit a periodontist for gum disease treatment. If your gums are not in good health, a non-surgical scaling and root planing procedure or more intensive treatments such as periodontal surgery may be necessary. Your team of oral professionals will need to prepare your teeth and gums for the reconstruction phases.
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) functioning: Your cosmetic doctor will determine the state of your bite and whether or not chewing and daily activities are interfering with the health of your teeth. Your occlusion, or the way in which your teeth fit together, as well as the overall health of your jaw joints will need to be reviewed before undergoing any type of reconstructive procedure.
- Esthetics: Your cosmetic doctor will take a closer look at the overall appearance of your teeth and evaluate their size and proportions. If you have large spaces due to tooth loss, we will discuss ways to replace missing teeth to improve your smile. We will also evaluate how your teeth look in relation to your gums, lips, mouth, and overall facial structure.
Full Mouth Reconstruction Procedures
Since every case is unique, only qualified dental professionals can determine exactly which procedures you will need for full mouth reconstruction. Most procedures are performed in a series of phases and the entire treatment process can take up to 12 months or more. Procedures may include:
- Prophylactic teeth cleaning or periodontal treatment
- Crown lengthening
- Orthognathic surgery
- Gum tissue contouring
- Reduction of tooth structure
- Temporary restorations
- Permanent restorations such as crowns, veneers, inlays, onlays, and bridges
- Implants and/or anchor bridge restorations to replace missing teeth
- Bone or soft tissue grafting
If you have experienced a number of dental problems, need to replace missing teeth, or wish to improve the overall health and function of your smile, you may be a candidate for full mouth reconstruction. Learn more about full mouth reconstruction by setting up a consultation with your cosmetic doctor today!
Elegant Dental Care is equipped with the latest in hi-tech dental equipment and our staff is trained to provide the best possible dental experience for you and your family. We take pride in the service we provide to our patients from Loma Linda. If you have any questions, concerns, or would like to schedule an appointment, please send us a message via the Contact Us form today. We look forward to providing you with the personal oral care you deserve.